In Case You Missed it, here’s the round-up of all of my latest content, plus updates from old guests!
Read on if you want to know more. If not? See you next week with more writing tips and writerly musings.
Coming up this week:
On Youtube: Come, hang out, and maybe even get some productivity done yourself. Here on youtube at 4:30pm EDT.
On Twitch: Or join me here on twitch.
Content Around The Web:
- Reluctant Heroes (A BaltiCon 2022 Panel) – Not every protagonist wants to be the hero of the story. How do doubt and hesitation develop heroic characters, and how does reluctance change over the course of a narrative?
- Better Beta Reading – A Writer’s Conduit Twitch live stream with Sako Tumi and Doc Coleman. We had a lot to say about beta reading — both from the author’s side and the reader’s side. (it will be posted to Youtube soon.)
On the Podcast “Writing Tips and Writerly Musings”:
- Improving Your Readings – From authors who are asked to read their own work at signings, to audiobook narrators, to podcasters, there are a lot of us out there who want — or need — to get better at readings.
On The Blog (In Case You Missed It):
- Reluctant heroes (A BaltiCon 2022 Panel) – Not every protagonist wants to be the hero of the story. How do doubt and hesitation develop heroic characters, and how does reluctance change over the course of a narrative?
- Author Spotlight Guest: Jon Kirsch – A hopeless idealist obsessed with the otherworldly – usually involving love in worlds dark or fantastical, he’s sharing writing tips and writerly musings with us.
July 8-10th will be my return to Imaginarium Convention in Louisville, KY.
- Fri 2:30 pm Writing YA
- Sun 10 am Squirrel Taming
- Sun 1:30 pm Agents, Loglines, and Query Letters WORKSHOP
July 16 – Pitching: The Trad Publishing Process on youtube for AWC (the Authortube Writer’s Conference)
Sept 1-5th, you can find me at ChiCon 8 (the 80th WorldCon) in Chicago, IL.
What I’ve Been Reading:
Rival Radio by Kathryn Nolan.
Theo: Whoever said “keep your enemies close” never had to share a small, dark sound booth with her. Daria Stone is the infuriating host of “Choosing Yourself.” The name is almost as ridiculous as the concept. Permanently single? Please. The woman’s made a career out of rejecting everything I stand for. I’m looking for the one. The right woman who’s ready for marriage and a lifetime together. Not some sultry, stubborn vixen who makes my life a living hell and insists a husband can be replaced by a curated collection of bedroom toys. And I know she’s wearing those skin-tight leather pants just to annoy me.
Daria: Dr. Theo Chadwick is a professional pain in my…workplace. Sure—on the outside, the man is gorgeous. But he’s also obsessed with finding his better half and getting his radio show, “True Romance,” syndicated so he can give false hope to lovelorn listeners everywhere. He keeps pushing my buttons with his arrogant “expertise” about how wrong I am. I just want to see him snap. Maybe that’s how I ended up here, pinned against a wall with my legs wrapped around his waist…whoops…
Can these enemies put their feud on hold and play nice in a shared timeslot to save their popular beach town radio station? Or will their sparks burn everything to the ground?
New Works By Previous Guests:
None this week, but soon!
Picture(s) of the Week:
With the light from my new window really shining on the pressboard back of my desk, I decided to do a quick little upgrade.
I’d call it a 10-minute upgrade, but I spent a couple hours deciding against painting or veneer, and picking the exact peel-and-stick wallpaper to spruce up this desk I got over a decade ago.