How Fantasy Writing Changed My Life
w/ Angelina Adams(mod), Mercedes Lackey, Christopher Paolini, Chris Jackson, and Larry Dixon
Stories about Readers:
- Lackey gets told all the time how Vanyel touched gay readers
- Dixon – this is his 263rd panel. “We’re still fans, too.“
What book/story would you point to for getting you into SFF?
- Saucer of Loneliness – Lackey
- The Ruby Knight by David Eddings – Paolini.
- SFF tackles the big issues
- Paolini was a scientist for 20 years, now is a full time writer, it literally changed his life.
- The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon & Kushiel’s Dart by Jacqueline Carey – Jackson
- – fantasy doesn’t need to be PG
- Catseye by Andre Norton & Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey – Dixon.
- “I was very young at a young age”.
- It showed a time period that was neither period, nor unfamiliar
- There was a process by which McCaffrey went from his idol to “Annie’s got my art on her guest room wall.“
How do you diversify your writing style
- honing your voice vs learning things to help the original style – Adams
- It helps to be schizophrenic. It’s vital to stretch. His writing group has a new writing exercise every month – Jackson
- Variety inspires your writing – Paolini
- You cannot edit nothing – Jackson
- NaNoWriMo is good for beginner writers.
- Ass glue – gorilla ass glue is helpful.
- Sanderson does vignettes that he says helps keep him from losing his minds – Paolini
- After Eragon, [my] next dragon would be evil. (Because of burn out)
- It’s hard to write a story from the villain’s point of view, they won’t BE the villain. (Because you make them sympathetic)
What did you think of the movie? [Eragon]
- Paolini – Officially? It was the director’s vision and [he] can’t help but be grateful for the millions of new readers it brought in.
- Unofficially? [He’s] trying to get it remade. The studio didn’t quite understand fantasy [tropes/etc].
- Lackey – As Bradbury said, “at least I cashed the check.“
For gamers- do you write what you game?
- Dixon – I had to quit a game module, because the GM didn’t let anyone change anything or add anything.
Odds & Ends and Quotes
- Lackey – Publisher won’t let her write more 500 Kingdom’s because it doesn’t make enough $$$.
- “Getting old ain’t for the weak” – Lackey
- “The books don’t age.” – CP
Who is your favorite character you’ve created?
- Skandranon Rashkae- The black griffin – Dixon
- Vreva Jhafae – the Courtesan Spy – Jackson
- Saphira – the dragon – Paolini
- Victoria – romance writer/techno-mage and Joyeaux Charmond – a hunter in a dystopia – but that’s who I’m working on right now… – Lackey