In honor of the Thanksgiving holiday in the States, I’m taking a break before my final WorldCon CoNZealand write-up to give thanks for all my blessings.
20 Things I Am Grateful For In 2020
While 2020 had been a pretty rough year for most of us, I know that many of you have had it far rougher than I have. My heart goes out to all of you whose lives have been touched by the pandemic — with illness, lost jobs, isolation, election anxiety, or more. Meanwhile, my life changed far less than I imagined it would.
My days have been filled with my dayjob and my nights with my writing. Plus? A LOT of online conventions needing staff.
I’ve been going to the grocery store every month and a half, with the occasional farmers market trip, and not much else outside of my household. I’ve attended three very small, outside gatherings spread across five months. Then, two weeks ago, I topped off my groceries and gas tank, in preparation for the holiday and stayed completely alone until this afternoon.
And so it was that I found myself near in tears of relief as I drove down to visit my mother for Thanksgiving, counting my blessings.
So, in no particular order, here are some of my blessings:
- I have a mother who’s been staying isolated and healthy
- My mother is within driving distance
- I have a job
- I can work from home
- I have a home that I can comfortably work from
- I live in a quiet, safe neighborhood
- My health
- I have a family and friends who love and support me
- I get the Thanksgiving and Year End holidays off from work
- I’ve managed to keep my obligations light so that I can keep up with NaNoWriMo
- I finally got to meet my newest puppy brother, who was born at the start of the pandemic! [french bulldog]
- I have a writer father who understands my dayjob and writing complaints and triumphs
- My blog and vlog are having their best year yet
- Very few of my friends and family have been impacted directly by the pandemic or job losses *knocks on wood*
- My supportive twin sister is my perfect alpha reader
- High speed internet — making my job and virtual cons possible
- The wonderful and supportive writing communities I’ve found – Write by The Rails and Spilled Ink, locally. My local NaNo writers. The AuthorTube tribe — especially Sarah, who lets me join her stream, and Sako, usually joins my weekly write-in stream, the PitchWars community, the Insecure Writer’s Group, the Sub-it-club and… Um. I’ll stop there or I could be here all night.
- My wonderful critique partners and beta readers who have donated their time to help me improve. Especially Ashley Cass – The Book Babe!
- Getting to eat food my mom cooked, tomorrow!
- Did I mention getting to see my puppy brothers? Charlie, the maybe 9-month-old french bulldog, and Buttons, the 11-year-old papillion.